Sunday, March 4, 2012

Noah's Birth Story

Noah was born almost 3 weeks ago.  So its time to catch up on blog and finally write his birth story.  He is a great baby so far and sleeps well.  Its midnight and he is sound asleep--he's been sleeping 5-6 hours at night and grunts as he's waking up instead of crying.  He still cries at times but is overall a great baby.  At his 2 week dr appt, he weighed 8 lbs, 14 oz. (birth weight was 8 lbs, 7 oz so he's doing great) and his jaundice had passed.  All is good and we are still adjusting to having 4 kids and all of their schedules.
Moving onto his birth story....It was the night of Valentine's day.  I had did all sorts of crafts and activities with the kids to try to make the day special, knowing that Noah was arriving soon.  We decided to take the kids bowling that night since there was a family discount/deal going on that night and I thought the kids would have fun.  Yes, I bowled but just for about 30 minutes...the deal was 2 hours of bowling and only Katie and Andrew were still bowling at the end.  Afterwards, we went home and I was going to go to the airport to pick up one of my best friends from MN, Britni Nash, that was coming in to help me get through week 1 of having 4 kids.  As I was circling the airport waiting for her to get off plane, get luggage, etc, my water started to break.  Talk about timing and God's plan....Britni was originally coming in 2 days early so we could go thru a full day together before being induced on Thursday....instead she came just hours before Noah was born.  So, we literally drop Britni off at our home with the kids asleep and head off to the hospital.  Britni had never been to Virginia before nor our house and we just dropped her and her 8 mo old to a quiet, dark house--she was not going to sleep well :)  We get to the hospital and contractions start getting worse.  Called for ephideral and was in a lot of pain.  My head was throbing and I was just out of it.  It went from about 10pm until 3:30am until I was dialated to a 10 and able to push--it was a long 5 hours that was dragging on.  2 good pushes and baby was out!  Baby was fine and all was good.
We left the hospital the next day.  The nurse staff was not that great, they were full to capacity, and I was ready to go home.  Noah had jaundice so we went back in for bloodwork every day for about his first 5 days.  We had to supplement and wake him up for feedings but we didn't have to use the lights with him or get re-admitted to the hospital, which was nice.  We've had some nursing issues and still struggling a little but I will refrain from these details :)
Noah is doing great and I have to get some sleep!  Mike and I are still juggling spending time with all of the kids and getting our sleep in.  It will take a bit of adjustment but we will figure this out shortly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment